Starting September 20, 2023, all Top Shot collectors who complete a Qualifying Set (see below for details) and lock all of the Moments within it – or have already done so – will unlock the commercial rights to the IP of that Set Art! Your commercial rights include a royalty-free license to use, copy, and display Set Art, as well as create derivative digital and physical works such as t-shirts, hats, mugs, posters, and more.
That means you can create and sell merch using select NBA Top Shot Sets and we will take $0 from the sales you make and any profit you earn. Using these commercial rights requires a signed agreement, which is detailed below and will be provided to each interested collector.
All S1, S2, Summer '21, S3, and S4 Sets are considered to be a Qualifying Set, with the exception of the following sets:
- The Finals (S1)
- 2020-2023 NBA Finals (S1, S2, S3, S4)
- 2021-2023 NBA Playoffs (S2, S3, S4)
- Rising Stars (S2, S3)
- NBA All-Star (S2-S4)
- Shining Stars (S4)
- The Anthology: LeBron James (S4)
- The Anthology: Magic Johnson (S4)
- The Anthology: Steph Curry (S4)
- The Anthology: Kevin Durant (S4)
- The Anthology: Larry Bird (S4)
The Sets above have been excluded as they contain NBA IP or NBA Player IP. We reserve the right to modify this list, at our sole discretion (yes, our lawyers made us write this). This list will be updated throughout Series 5 and beyond as new Sets are released that contain NBA IP.
How it Works
- For collectors interested in tapping into the IP of the complete Sets they own, or with questions about this new benefit of ownership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your Top Shot name and the Set IP you intend on using. For those pursuing commercial projects, please provide a brief overview of how you intend to use and productize the art.
- Upon a brief review of your proposal and collection, a Qualifying Set Owner Agreement will be shared for your signature to formalize your usage of this IP. Upon the signature of this agreement, all of the art files and digital assets you need to bring your vision to life will be delivered to you via email.
- These rights are strictly limited to the Set art from Sets that aren’t listed above and explicitly do not include the rights to use the NBA Top Shot logo or NBA IP in any form or fashion.
Please Note: This new benefit is not a replacement or substitute for any existing Set Rewards or future plans to recognize Set collecting. It is just an exciting new benefit we are now able to offer our community in addition to any existing and future plans tied to Set ownership.